Sunday, March 31, 2019

Challenges Don't Change the Truth



Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.

So boy, don’t you turn back
.Don’t you set down on the steps’
Cause you finds it’s kinder hard.
Don’t you fall now—For I’se still goin’, honey,
I’se still climbin’,And life for me ain’t been no crystal stair.

--Mother to Son, Langston Hughes






It's no secret. We are encounter challenges all the time. Yet it seems like they come after we thought we "made" it through the storm! I have been officially unemployed for 8 months. And this part of my journey has been no crystal stair. I told God he betta pull through on one of these last three interviews because I totally learned all I needed to learn at this point and I am ready for THE door to open. I have applied to soooo many jobs, been on sooo many interviews--I stopped counting at like 15, and I am just sooo over it all!!! 

Then Monday rolls around and I get an email at 1:30pm with another "unable to offer employment" messages. At first I was like, okay no biggie, this wasn't THE door. My momentary okay turned sour throughout the day and soon I found myself wanting to cast blame--what did I do wrong this time. 

To say my this portion of my journey has been tough is only the tip of it. The moving iceberg underneath carries so much the eyes can't see. And please don't take my sharing as a moment of shame. I share because it is my reasonable duty. No point in keeping it secret. We all have challenges on the journey. Folks watching just want to know how we are making it through. And here's what I have to say to myself....my current challenges don't change the Truth.  God is still God. His plan for my life is still very present and working for my favor. My worth, value, talent, skill and ability are not valued by the numbers of yes or no I receive. I don't need to necessarily know the details of it all because I am not conforming to a fit or a type or a like. I am determined to live through my challenges as they refine my faith, character, talent, gifts, and goals. These challenges are my preparation for THE door. Yes it was easy to fall trap, but I didn't. Yes I felt my feelings, asked myself why I felt that way, then decided I would continue to exercise my faith--God you still have two more opportunities, I can't wait to see which one you desire me to explore...

So it the mean time and even the lean time, I will hold fast to these words: 

  1. This journey is personal--it's MINE. Forget what you heard; there's no magic time frame. I am truly a better human today that I have even been in my life. I know more about God, faith and relationship than every before. 
  2. Keep faithful; consistency is the major key to success. I recently told my brother that I am not ready to venture into entrepreneurship because I am working on being consistent with my time and talent right now. It I can't be faithful with this small thing I surely can't handle any more. I am learning to carry my cup over the river and through the woods while it is half full so that as increase is added, I already have built the patience and persistence needed for that additional weight and responsibility.
  3. Do a lot with the little bit I may have. Giving isn't all monetary. Whatever I find my hands to do, I should do it. Give of my  time, talent, love, mercy, grace--basically all that I have to fit the need. Talent buried births bitterness, anger, frustration, and so much more negativity. In other words when you fail to nurture and live in your Truth and purposes (yes you have MANY purposes in life) you truly ain't living. I am devoted to giving of this talent because I know others need to see they are not alone. I'm a river  and I got folks to feed. 
  4. This time is no different. I have been through tough times before and I will come through this one too. Life ain't been no crystal stair, but I won't sit down. These challenges don't change my Truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment