Thursday, January 5, 2017

Everybody Needs a Bono

"Some people build fences to keep people out and other people build fences to keep people in. Rose wants to hold on to you all. She loves you." -Bono, from August Wilson's Fences

Had the viewing pleasure of seeing Denzel Washington's rendition of the famed August Wilson's Fences. I was amazed at how much depth that was able to be captured on film. Most times the live theatrical version can not be matched, yet this one brought so much raw emotion. I saw life's reflection in every character like I was reading the original playbill.

With so many big rocks to takeaway (OMG I am such an educator.....teacher terms...big rocks...takeaways...smh) I find Henderson's Bono the epitome of my heart's song. One can not progress without a Bono. Forget what you heard, no (wo)man is an island. Your journey can never blossom to possibilities without a Bono. Bono is your beyond your bestie. Bono understands s/he may need to walk away for a month of Sundays so as to not taint your healing season. Bono understands you may need to lose to win. Bono is your reflection of fantasy and reality.

I quote Marcus Brutus often..."The eye cannot see itself but by means of reflection" (unfortunate for him he chose the wrong mirror--Cassius..). We are given the privilege of companionship on this journey and must value its responsibility. Even in our silent reflective moments we don't see it all. And our Bono provides us the inside details to push us to our success because s/he desires to see us reach our success just as much so as we do. For in our success is his/her success. Bono said it all, "I done known you seem like damn near my whole life. I been following you... I done learned a whole heap of things about life watching you. I done learned how to tell where the shit lies. How to tell it from the alfalfa. You done learned me a lot of things. You showed me how to not make the same mistakes…to take life as it comes along and keep putting one foot in front of the other."

Bono pushes you to see the truth when you chasing lies. See the you, you so intentionally may be trying to hid.

No comments:

Post a Comment