Sunday, December 7, 2008

New Job

So at this point I am totally loving the blog! Thanks Arthur for turning me on to the blog! I love writing but have found little time for my craft and blogging helps to clear my mind and for me to be reflective and connect to something real. So this week I have been considering applying for a new job. I love teaching but I am tired of the high school drama! I want a new circle, a new challenge. I think I have the seven year itch as educators call it! Can't stay in one place no more than seven years...time for something different. I would love to teach at the college level, specifically at the community college. I found a few openings for the 09 school year relatively close to me and I am going to begin working my resume and other requirements. So what's the problem, you may ask??? Well I love the people I work with at my current job! I love the kids, I love being a strong woman of color in a predominately white school. I love giving students an experience many of them will never have again in their life as white children, a black teacher. Yet the dichotomy is that I am the ONLY black teacher in the building! Yes, the only one of a faculty and staff of almost 100! I'm accustomed to the situation considering I was one of the limited numbers in my high school and college--in fact I was the ONLY black student in my college graduation class!

What the hell!!!! Just typing that right then almost made me cry!! Look at what I have experience. Thank God I have a job where I can pour my experiences and lessons into others!

Anyway--I love the high school I teach but hate the politics of it. I am so tired of athletics taking priority over academics, the 15% of students who seriously have NO home training, and no change! Change is so important and there is so little of it. Why do we look at the situation, talk about it and then do nothing! ugh! That's another blog for another day!

So I'm off to the next stage of my life: a new job---wish me well!

No comments:

Post a Comment