Monday, May 27, 2019

Put Your Mask On First


We have zero ability to change others. Zero. We have no power to change the attitude, character or actions of others. None.

Yet we can influence the attitude, character and actions of others. How? By simply being our true and authentic self. In a world full of filters and cover-ups, choosing to be who we truly are at this moment is priceless. It's one of the most power gifts we can give to ourselves and those around us. It's how we leave our impact on this planet--choosing to belong just as we are.

By no means am I stating that choosing ourselves is an easy one. Yet I do know it is the only way to truly change the world. Sorry but there's no next Beyonce', or Cardi B, or whoever may be the hottest "it" artist at the moment. It simply can not exist. Because there is only one. One of you. One of them. Literally only one.

So since it's only one of you, why not be you. I get it. I have flaws and all--I am constantly unhappy with this belly that has worked its way back in my life. But it's still a part of me. And I literally have the power to make the change I want to see. No one can do the work for me. I have to conquer the battle in my mind and then put them work in to be different. I can't ask 3/4 of me to stand outside and only allow the 1/4 of me to be present. I have to take all of me into every space and place I occupy. I have to be at peace with me. It's impossible to make impact or have influence on others if I refuse to deal with all of me.

It's easy to point the finger. It takes courage to look in the mirror and recognize one's own reflection. No matter what you think you see or what you even don't want to see; it's you. As they say when you fly, put your mask on first then help those around you.

You want to help others, help you. You want someone else to do something different, how about you start with YOU. It's easy to see what others need, but have you looked at you lately?

Change and impact first starts with you. You want to see others be different and do things differently, you take the first step.


No comments:

Post a Comment